Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Last Words from Death Penalty Inmates


John Allen Muhammad, AKA "The DC Sniper," who was put to death today in Virginia by lethal injection. He declined a last statement. I remember ducking behind the pumps while gassing my car during his three-week-long 2002 shooting spree—I was legitimately afraid. We all were. The murders were so random, disembodied violence aimed at the most normal moments in our daily routines. Family members of the ten victims crammed into a small viewing room in the execution chamber of Greensville Correctional Center in Jarratt, Virginia...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post expresses no opinion about the death penaltybecause I have none. It merely tries to humanize one of the many heavy and complex matters that have become mere "issues" in the 24-hour news cycle.

These last statements from death row inmates, on the verge of execution, are posted on the Texas Department of Criminal Justice website here.
Yes I do. I know ya'lls pain, believe me I shed plenty of tears behind Carlos. Carlos was my friend. I didn't murder him. This what is happening right now is an injustice. This doesn't solve anything. This will not bring back Carlos. Ya'll fought real hard here to prove my innocence. This is only the beginning. I love each and everyone dearly. Dre My queen. I love you. Yaws, Junie I love yall. Stay strong, continue to fight. They are fixing to pump my veins with a lethal drug the American Veterinary Association won't even allow to be used on dogs. I say I am worse off than a dog. They want to kill me for this; I am not the man that did this. Fight on. I will see ya'll again. That's all I can say. -Reginald Blanton, Executed October 27, 2009
On 4/13/2000 in San Antonio, Blanton and one co-defendant shot and killed a 20 year old Hispanic male in his apartment. Blanton took jewelry from the victim which was later pawned for $79. He was 18. He was executed 10 years later, at the age of 28.
The Polunsky dungeon should be compared with the Death Row Community as existing not living. Why do I say this, the Death Row is full of isolated hearts and suppressed minds. We are filled with love looking for affection and a way to understand. I am a Death Row resident of the Polunsky dungeon. Why does my heart ache. We want pleasure love and satisfaction. It. The walls of darkness crushed in on me. Life without meaning is life without purpose. But the solace within the Polunsky dungeon, the unforgivesness within society, the church Pastors and Christians. It is terrifying. Does anyone care or who I am. Can you feel me people. The Polunsky dungeon is what I call the pit of hopelessness. The terrfying thing is the US is the only place, country that is the only civilized country that is free that says it will stop murder and enable justice. I ask each of you to lift up your voices to demand an end to the Death Penalty. If we live, we live to the Lord. If we die we die to the Lord. Christ rose again, in Jesus name. Bye Aunt Helen, Luise, Joanna and to all the rest of yall. You may proceed Warden. [began singing] -Johnny Johnson, Executed February 2, 2009
What did he do? Here's the report. (Hint: He's a less-than-ideal voice for the anti-death penalty lobby).
Is the mic on? My only statement is that no cases have ever tried have been error free. Those are my words. No cases are error free. You may proceed Warden. -Dale Devon Scheanette, Executed February 10, 2009
On 12/24/1996, in Arlington, Texas, Scheanette sexually assaulted and strangled a 22 year old black female, resulting in her death.

Yes, nothing I can say can change the past. I am asking for forgiveness. Saying sorry is not going to change anything. I hope one day you can find peace. I am sorry for all of the pain that I have caused you for all those years. There is nothing else I can say, that can help you.

Mija, I love you. Sis, Cynthia, and Sandy, keep on going and it will be O.K. I am sorry to put you through this as well. I can't change the past. I hope you find peace and know that I love you. I am sorry. I am sorry and I can't change it. -David Martinez, Executed February 10, 2009

Mr. Martinez was charged with beating his wife and their 14-year-old son to death with a baseball bat.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

...led into the chamber in denim and flip-flops, John Allen Muhammad was injected with a series of lethal drugs beginning at 9:06 p.m. and he was pronounced dead at 9:11 p.m. Bob Meyers, whose brother, Dean H. Meyers, 53, was gunned down Oct. 9 at a Prince William County gas station said, "There are no winners here. We are not celebrating. It was a sad day for everyone."

No comments:

Post a Comment